Here is a short discovery topic of how you can use the slackware package install logs for troubleshooting.
This is a practical example, used to tshoot an issue with LibreOffice ( disclaimer, it’s – as usual – a user mistake )
Today got some trouble with LibreOffice ( or libreoffice ? ), I couln’t start it anymore.
/usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/oosplash: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_system.so.1.63.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I first though about lib issue, as the error states…and libboost, as you can see, it is really missing.
$ ldd /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/oosplash
libboost_system.so.1.63.0 => not found <<<<<<<<<<< MISSING !
libXinerama.so.1 => /usr/lib64/libXinerama.so.1 (0x00007f2f011ce000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib64/libX11.so.6 (0x00007f2f00e92000)
libpng16.so.16 => /usr/lib64/libpng16.so.16 (0x00007f2f00c5f000)
libm.so.6 => /lib64/libm.so.6 (0x00007f2f008c4000)
libuno_sal.so.3 => /usr/lib64/libreoffice/program/libuno_sal.so.3 (0x00007f2f00667000)
libc.so.6 => /lib64/libc.so.6 (0x00007f2f0027d000)
libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib64/libXext.so.6 (0x00007f2f0006b000)
libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib64/libxcb.so.1 (0x00007f2effe45000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib64/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f2effc41000)
libz.so.1 => /lib64/libz.so.1 (0x00007f2effa2a000)
libboost_system.so.1.63.0 => not found
libpthread.so.0 => /lib64/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f2eff80b000)
librt.so.1 => /lib64/librt.so.1 (0x00007f2eff603000)
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00007f2eff27c000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib64/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007f2eff065000)
libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib64/libXau.so.6 (0x00007f2efee61000)
libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib64/libXdmcp.so.6 (0x00007f2efec5b000)
My system is running the boost 1.67 ( not 1.63 ). I thought it was probably due to a package compiled at a point in time… then the lib has been upgraded so I needed to recompile the package.
# slackpkg search boost
Looking for boost in package list. Please wait... DONE
The list below shows all packages with name matching "boost".
[ installed ] - boost-1.67.0-x86_64-1
You can search specific files using "slackpkg file-search file"
Then I realised that it’s weird that libreoffice is pointing to /usr/lib64/libreoffice/. libreoffice is installed usually in /opt
When trying to reinstall the libreoffice6.0 package, I found an interresting output:
# removepkg libreoffice
Removing package /var/log/packages/libreoffice-6.0.3-x86_64-1_SBo...
--> /usr/bin/lobase (symlink) was found in another package. Skipping.
--> /usr/bin/localc (symlink) was found in another package. Skipping.
--> /usr/bin/lodraw (symlink) was found in another package. Skipping.
--> /usr/bin/loimpress (symlink) was found in another package. Skipping.
--> /usr/bin/lomath (symlink) was found in another package. Skipping.
--> /usr/bin/lowriter (symlink) was found in another package. Skipping.
--> /usr/bin/soffice (symlink) was found in another package. Skipping.
--> /usr/bin/unopkg (symlink) was found in another package. Skipping.
--> Deleting symlink /usr/bin/libreoffice6.0
--> Deleting symlink /usr/bin/sbase
Bins are skipped, due due to being present in another package, which is odd.
Here I remember that Slackware keeps the logs of the package installation, in /var/log/packages
# cd /var/log/packages/
:/var/log/packages # grep -R /usr/bin/lobase *
:/var/log/packages # grep -R lobase *
Bingo, it just seems that I’ve installed somehow 2 version of libreoffice at some point. Note the typo difference, one package is calle libreoffice, the other LibreOffice.
Both version came from https://slackbuilds.org :
- libreoffice is the package you can build using the full source of the project, while
- LibreOffice is a re-package of the official/upstream RPM package
After removing the LibreOffice and libreoffice , then properly reinstall libreoffice6. Everything was fine !